Thursday, June 12, 2008

Not bbq ribs, but just as saucy


I do not use the grill. I have yet to master starting the fire. Since I had the day off yesterday I decided to make something that took a little longer to make. These ribs were so tender and good. The sauce is excellent and I think I will try it with pork chops also. I omitted the carrots and celery because we don't like those two things cooked. I cooked my ribs for 2 hours.


Saucy Oven Beef Ribs

Source: Betty Crocker


1 cup beef broth

1/2 cup of dry red wine or beef broth ( I used the broth)

1 can (15oz) of tomato sauce

1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme leaves

1/2teaspoon of dried marjoram leaves

3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon of salt

1/4 teaspoon of pepper

2lb beef boneless country style chuck ribs

2 tablespoons olive oil

6 medium carrots, cut into 2 inch pieces

2 medium stalks celery, chopped

1 large onion chopped

2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped


1. heat oven to 350 degrees

2 In 13x9 inch glass baking dish, mix broth, tomato sauce, wine, thyme, and marjoram.

3. In resealable plastic bag place flour, pepper, and salt. Shake to mix. Add ribs. Shake to coat. In baking dish, beat excess flour mixture into tomato sauce mixture using wire whisk.

4. In 12 inch nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Cook ribs in oil for about 5 minutes, turning once, until brown. Place ribs in baking dish; turn to coat with sauce mixture. Add remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to skilllet; increase heat to high. Cook carrots, celery, onions, and garlic in oil 3 minutes, stirring frequently.

5. Add carrot mixture to ribs and sauce. Cover tightly with foil. Bake 1 and a half hour to 2 hours or until ribs are tender.

No comments: